When people ask me why I started blogging, how I got into it, which bloggers inspire me, I always had one person in mind. Necole Bitchie has been my only inspiration. I was an English major in college, loved writing, but never knew what blogging was. One day I decided to started my own site and learned by trial and error. Continue reading
Why Don’t I Blog About Gossip More Often?
I could easily find stories that appeal to the average reader and highlight the juicy stuff like Dwayne Wade being a father to a newborn while he just got engaged to Gabriel Union. I could focus on Chris Brown’s visit to rehab after finding himself in legal trouble once again. I could even document the day-to-day antics of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West. It’s hard not to fall into the trap of blogging about gossip that would bring me thousands of site visits every day; it’s REALLY hard. But, when I first created danithedreamgirl.com I knew that I had a vision and a purpose of what I wanted my brand to represent. I wanted to encourage and inspire others to do better, to think about their life and its direction and to follow their dreams.
I sprinkle some gossip in my posts every once in a while, when the story has an alternative or deeper meaning. But, in reality the gossip market is saturated with meaningless tid bits. Instead, I wanted people to be able to read something with a purpose. I’m still a growing site and it’s hard to take a more positive approach to blogging, but I get small reminders everyday that I’m on the right track. Most of my close friends know that my inspiration for taking the plunge into building my site was and is Necole Bitchie. Her story is amazing and in many ways, I find myself relating to her on many levels. She has no clue who I even am, but if she ever reads this I hope she knows that her story is what helped me find the courage to share my voice with all of you.
I’m at a really difficult place in my life at the moment. I find myself going through personal struggles that often times seem hard to tackle. I lost my job and am hustling to pay my bills by working long hours and using every bit of energy I have. Who knows what’s next for me, but for the first time in years I can say that I am starting over. From the bare minimum. It’s a scary place to be, but I say all of this to remind my readers that THIS is why I started my site. Making danithedreamgirl.com a big enough site to generate a decent amount of revenue, becoming an industry leading blogger and inspiring people along the way are my goals. I’m just now in a place to take a serious shot at giving it my all.
Let the story begin…
Who Would Cyber Bully Over Chris Brown?!
So, you KNOW that I don’t do the ultra gossipy thing on my site (as in I don’t care if the baby is Beyonce’s or not!) so whatever pop culture buzz is going around I like to dig deeper and focus on the REAL issue. Some of it is entertaining, but dang do we really care what a celebrity wears to Starbucks? I don’t (even though I click on the link JUST to see if one of them is wearing a hairstyle or lipstick color that I like hee hee). With allll of that said, I want to chit chat about the latest DRAMA/LOVE TRIANGLE between Chris Brown, Rihanna and Karreuche. Clearly, it’s none of anyone’s biz-nass who he is boning or “canoodling” with behind the bleachers, BUT I think it’s going too far when ladies are cussing each other out over this fool via Instagram. In a time when bullying is REAL and youngsters are killing themselves, it just creates attention around immaturity. Some argue that celebrities shouldn’t be considered role models and others believe that their platform is powerful and can influence a lot of people. I’m on the fence! However, when I see this type of behavior, it’s hard for me not to cringe and wish that they would be smarter because people are WATCHING. Check out the convo that transpired between Melissa Forde and whoever else that is affiliated with Chris Brown’s ex:
Unknown User Sticking up for Karreuche:
Melissa Forde’s Response:
What do you think? Is stuff like this influential on others to bully? Does it glorify something that is a never ending battle?
DANITHEDREAMGIRL Received an Award!!!
This recognition and thanks is long overdue, but outside of blogging I have to pay the bills by working (lol) so time isn’t always on my side 🙂 So, onto the good news! I am the recipient of the Versatile Blogger Award, which recognizes blogs that do something different and exciting! In order to receive this award, you MUST be nominated or awarded by another blog site. I had the honor of being presented this award by another lovely blogger who is Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island Here it is:
This is what she had to say about me and my site:
Dani of DANITHEDREAMGIRL documents her journey to find her purpose and helps tell the stories of others along the way. I call her features The Dream Catchers because she exposes everyday people who are chasing (and determined to catch) their dreams. Subscribe to her blog via email for the latest and greatest in MOTIVATION!
To that, I say “THANK YOU VERY MUCH!” It’s nice to be recognized for the work that I do and the stories that I tell! So the rules state that I must share 7 facts about myself…here goes nothing:
1. I love to LOVE! I love hard! Once I’m comfortable with a person, my heart will surely open up to them. That’s the reason for me having such wonderful relationships in my life (just ask my close friends).
2. I’m very GIVING! If I have it, you got it. I will give you the last few dollars in my pocket if you needed it more than me.
3. I dream of a BIG wedding, but will more than likely elope just to save the money! lol
4. I love DOGS…they are so much cooler than cats!
5. I’m a Daddy’s girl! If you talk about my dad, there will be problems.
6. I like partying with my brother more than anyone else.
7. My TRUE lifelong passion that I never actually followed was to be a DANCER! I must find a way to fit that into my life somehow.
THERE YOU HAVE IT! Was that good? OK, now I have to pass this along to other bloggers! Can I give it back to the person that gave it back to me??? I wish I could, because I really want to…F it! I’m giving it back to her! Take a look at who I picked for this award!
1. She is the craftiest, most fabulous, amazing mother, friend so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that she is Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. If you need recipes, event planning tips, crafting samples/step by step descriptions, etc…you better act like you know and click on her link!
2. I totally adore Necole Bitchie, which is why she is my next honoree! I love her story! She went from nothing, to being one of the BEST bloggers out there. She received an award from Soul Train for being the #1 Soul Site. She doesn’t even know it, but she is one of my biggest, if not the biggest, blogging inspiration! You can make a living out of just writing and posting! She has a huge celebrity following, but seems very down to earth. She has celeb status, but remains humble…if that’s not versatile I don’t know what is!
3. My next lovely recipient is the creator of The Jasmine Brand. She is not only good at what she does, but she is totally down to earth! She took the time to have a Twitter Q&A with me to offer advice and guidance on how to be successful in the blogging world! She gave insight on how SHE made it and for that, I will always be grateful. She can chum it up with the big names within the industry and still chum it up with people like me who are on the come-up!
4. Next up! Oh yeah…she’s getting smacked with a DOUBLE award since she has already received it once! If you love shoes, you will love Shoeacidal Hotline. She is able to get exclusive interviews with our favorite stars who rock the best shoes! If you’re feeling a bit SHOEACIDAL, call her hotline!
The list isn’t long, but it’s packed with power! Check them out 🙂 Thanks for taking the time to visit Danithedreamgirl and share in my excitement!